Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cranial Therapy

Well I started physical therapy again yesterday.   This time is more of a focus in what is called Cranial Therapy and the neck area.    The pains that really flared about 5 weeks ago had gotten much better with strong meds, but still tend to come & go.   My doctor recommended a different therapy & different place.      The therapist told me I may end up not feeling good awhile after the treatment.   Sure enough, the treatment felt great and must have released some of those good endorphines for awhile, but last night the pain & pressure all flared big time.    Now today it has been so bad I didn't feel like picking up my head...it just pulsed in pain & pressure.   Back to the meds and rotate heat & ice.   (it should get better with treatments)

Odd thing is the strong pain medicine I am on called Dilauhdid (generic) makes my tinnitus (ringing) WAY less, almost non exsistent.   I find it interesting.   Problem is, that is NOT a medicine to be on unless absolutely needed.   It is a major drug, stronger than morphine.   Such a bummer, why can't something like Tylenol just help like that!

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE:
     Well, I am now quite a believer that my brain inflammation is also affected when the weather is changing.   I have read lots about it, and had doctors tell me yes, for sure.   It is basically referred to like someone with arthritis.....they tend to ache more when the weather is changing, or a storm is coming.   WELL, that is me too.    Supposedly there is a storm coming tomorrow and for me that creates the pressure in my head verses the pain in my skull base & neck.   Yeah, maybe confusing, but at least I am finally understanding it all.    Problem is I haven't found how to help relieve the pressure type pain......any ideas?   

Many ask if the inflammation & pressure will go away.   I have been told it should, but due to the problems I had with my brain right after surgery it can take a long time for the brain & nerves to heal.  Plus there is no promises because of my secondary condition of Chiari Malformation.      PATIENCE, I guess that is the only word I can think of.

Thanks again to everyone for your continual support.    This journey has been crazy, and the doctors have been telling me to give it at least a year & hopefully things will be much better.   So, patience for sure (some days much better than others)

Sorry if I haven't returned e-mails or phone calls or messages right away, please don't give up......I'm just still on the emotional rollercoaster with all of this too!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - So nice to hear what's going on even if its not the bestest news we could hear. But hopefully the new things you are trying will make a big difference! I pray for you all the time. Give me a call when you feel like it. Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise - you certainly haven't had an easy time of it! I really hope this new therapy helps you with the pain. And, you are SO right about barometric pressure. I always knew that barometric changes triggered rhinitis (allergies) in me, but now I get the added thrill of having my balance getting out of sync, too. At least I know to be more careful when the weather changes.

    I am keeping fingers crossed that you get some much needed relief, my dear.

    ReplyDelete