Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2nd post today: Bone Conduction Sound Processors (BAHA & TransEar)

Well, I said I'd post a 2nd one today.  This has to do more with the hearing loss and options.     As you know by now, my hearing is gone on my tumor side, which is my LEFT side.    For my non AN family, it is called SSD (single sided deafness....the term for unilateral profound sensorineural hearing loss)  And, like I stole some of my info. from a fellow ANer's blog.....it is D E A F....that is the thing to stress, it is different than most people who are "hard of hearing".   I hear NOTHING from the deaf side, so talking louder doesn't help :-)    This also impairs the ability to tell where sound is coming from.

There are many handicaps that come along with SSD that most people aren't aware of.  They include many life changes.  Things that are uncomfortable are usually noisy settings, like social gatherings, family get togethers, meetings, stores, restaurants, driving (car noises, etc.), even not being able to be completely aware of your surrounding based on noise if biking, walking, etc.

Being only 3 months out from surgery and my brain has to compensate for every noise in one side, it puts pressure on the brain as to how to deal with all the extra noises.   That can cause brain fatigue and physical fatigue.  Supposedly with time the brains hypersensitivity in this matter should diminish some.   As for now, listening when only one person at a time is easy.   BUT if multiple people are talking, or there are loud noises like fans, appliances, TV, music, etc. in the background....the brain has a hard time deciding which noise to accept and respond to.

Well, hopefully that made sense.  Now, on with a few options.   There are limited options for those who have became deaf due to this type of tumor or surgery.   It is called Bone Conduction.  Some refer to it almost like a prosthetic verses a basic hearing aid.  Basic hearing aids usually work with the Air conduction in the middle ear.   For my situation, that isn't an option because the middle ear (or ear nerve) has been damaged.  BUT there is an option of using the skull bone for vibration, conduction.   (of course, I never knew there were 2 ways we received sound....feel like I'm back in college with all this research)

The one option I am really checking into is called BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid).  It does require a surgery (usually outpatient) to implant a small titanium implant (abutment) behind your deaf ear.  Then a sound processor would be later attached to it.  Then sound is transferred through the bone of the skull, stimulating the cochlea of the good hearing ear.    This doesn't actually make your ear work, but the processor picks up the sound vibrations, then the implant transfers the sound vibrations to the cochlea of good ear.  The sound converts to signals sending them to the brain.   WHEW, amazing how the brain works!!   Don't even know if I completely explained it right, but it sure sounds amazing.   

The other option is the TRANAEAR, which is where the ear canal is deeply molded so the instrument can work with bone conduction.   This seems to be newer and I'm having a hard time getting good resources for this one.  

I've spoke to my regular ENT, my Neurotologist and 2 Audiologist and they say due to my young age I should benefit well from the BAHA.   I remember not even thinking of it a month ago.  But, since I MUST be feeling better, I decided to get the ball rolling to even see if my insurance would cover it or anything (luckily my doctor and audiologist that specialize in them will do all the work for me.....they know how to 'term' things right, like I mentioned before "a prosthectic" verses and aid.  Interesting to say the least, but just like a leg that is totally gone and you get a prosthetic, I have a hearing device/??? that is totally gone.  Makes sense to me.

Now, I am not saying for sure I'm even doing anything.  Takes a good month or more to hear from insurance.    In the mean time, I am trying to get myself slowly into situations to try to get my brain used to this new way of life.   Taking it slowly is the best way to do it, and results in less set backs later.

Well, that is enough for today!
PLEASE, fellow ANer's:   if you have any good info., comment or send me an e-mail.  I

If you think I'm crazy....say so. :-)    Really don't know what I'm doing for now....just been some major changes in my life.   I MISS my social 'calling' :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise:

    Great to read your update! Things will continue to improve. Re SSD, I also am struggling with this issue and funny when you write that people don't have to speak louder because you are DEAF. I've had this happen numerous times and still some people just don't get it GRRRR.... I checked into the BAHA as well but decided to live with the SSD for now. The BAHA here in Canada is not covered by our medical insurance. I also am leary about having my skull drilled into after being plagued with headaches and still struggling with headache issues. All the best in your quest with what is best for you - I've read stories of people who have the BAHA and love it.

    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't think you are crazy at all! It is worth investigating all of your options - you may decide to do nothing, but at least you will have learned what's out there. I hear very good things about both BAHA and Transear. Keep us posted...
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete