February 9th, 2010 was my actual 3 month post surgical date. I find I haven't been as good at updating the blog...............which to me means things are getting better for sure!
When I look back, or hear others tell me stories of what they thought and imagined when reading my blog over the 1st 2 months, I for sure feel blessed and have came a LONG way! It's so crazy how at certain points you can think "is it ever gonna get better?"
I had an appointment with my Neurotologist in Detroit Monday. He said for all I've been through, my healing process is actually great. He told me (same as any doctor I've seen) that due to the extra brain swelling I got after surgery and the delayed facial paralysis, that would all increase my healing time as to feeling more like normal. He thinks be 6 months most of the little things like my odd balance issues and periodic facial fullness feeling should be pretty good. Although, after having major surgery like this and involving the brain, things can take up to about a year.
A lot of things are actually where your brain has to compensate for things. As for me, I have lost the hearing on my left side, and I have tinnitus (ringing, noises) in that side some. When something happens so suddenly to one side of the brain, the other works so hard to compensate. This also causes the body and brain to fatigue very easily. (for sure I have had that)
Right now for me I would have to say the hardest thing is being in social settings or noisy situations. I am trying to get myself back into things, but taking it slowly to see how it goes. I'm needing to put myself into some of these situations and hopefully that will help my brain get used to those things. (I honestly am not sure how all that works). I have been back in church for the past 3 Sundays. The first was terrible, but I wasn't feeling real great for the 2 days before. The past 2 weeks have been good, but it seemed really loud so I wore an ear plug just slightly in my good ear and it helped limit some of the noise. I could hear everything just fine.....just not super loud and straining on my brain. It was nice.
I also took the kids to a get together of the youths (and families) from church. A cardboard sled race. It felt GREAT to be comfortable enough to want to go. My balance was weird, but standing in packs of snow didn't help. My wonderful husband was great at lending himself for me to hold onto. :-)
I am going to post another post today with hopefully getting response or emails from other AN people that have some of the same issues.
BUT, I want to once again THANK everyone for all of your support on behalf of myself and my family. Prayers are a wonderful thing and would actually appreciate the continuing of them. Still have struggles, but it seems like each week things are better. Even enough to lead me to decisions I said NO WAY to just weeks ago (in my next post).
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment