Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Denise's progress is going two steps forward one step back. Today we made a unexpected trip to Detroit to meet with Dr. On monday night her eye and mouth started losing movment by the middle of the night she had little to no control of the left side of her face. On tuesday we called the doctor in Detroit and explained what was going on. Dr prescibed steroids to help with swelling. Today seams like her talking might be improving. We meet with Dr he explained that there are two " different theories" on what cause's the delay with this lose of movement. The first is the facial nerve swells more after the surgery into a area called the tunnel. This causes the nerve to be compressed causing the loss of movment. The other theorie is some kind of virus that Dr didn't talk about much. But did say that also is treatable with meds. Were suposed to call Dr on friday to let him know if we can see any improvments. Denise can't see well enough to watch tv or play with computer, but she's still able to talk on the phone. So give her a call. Denise says thanks for all the thoughts , prays, cards and flowers. Neil & Denise

8 comments:

  1. Hi Denise:

    Wishing you well with your continuing recovery - it will take time....I learned much patience from the recovery time :-)

    I also had facial weakness about 5 days post op but was still in hospital so they treated it immediately. I still remember, after being given steroids again, feeling the one side of my face literally pull together.

    May God give you an extra measure of His peace during this time.

    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the steps backward....May the Lord give you extra strength and patience during this time. I wish you a speedy recover and sending lots and lots of prayers. Call me if you feel like it. Thinking of you frequently. Hugs, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the steroids do work well for you! No fun to have such ups and downs. I have been thru it and know it will get better in time. Just hard when one wants it better now! Just take it easy! I am thinking of you,
    Cheryl in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sanford Family,
    Just a quick note to let you know I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hard to understand when you feel so bad, its "THY WILL BE DONE,NOT MY WILL" yOU'LL MAKE IT dENISE, ONE DAY, ONE THING AT A TIME. We have faith in you and our Higher Power. Feel better soon.
    Cathy Stowitts
    Michelle Wiljanen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise,
    I know that can happen for a couple of weeks after surgery but I am sure it is scary and a disappointment. Hopefully the steroids will rectify the problem. Hang in there - you will keep progressing even if it doesn't seem like it is all forward. You might want to try some books on tape since your eyes are having such trouble focusing...will help pass the time! Cheryl Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will be feeling better soon. My prayers are with you. Let us all know as soon as you can how you're doing. God bless
    Loree (DJ)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise & family,

    Just had the chance to read your blog :( I hope the steroids are helping and you will feel much better soon. So, it's been 9 days since surgery (I think) and it sounds like over-all things are ok?! You will have all of my prayers and know that you are and have been in my thoughts!! Hang in there sweetie! From what I have read this too shall pass!! Thinking of you...

    Bren~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise,

    I hope things are ok...haven't seen any posts and getting worried about you :( If you still have my # please give me a call?! Thanks...

    Bren~

    ReplyDelete