Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Feeling Better, update

Well, I think the steroids and pain meds threw me so off that I only slept a few hours over the weekend and then I got external swelling of the muscles in my face.  It felt like a snake was under my skin moving in my face.   I totally freaked out so went back up to ER Monday morning.  Luckily Dr. Koxk was there again and he checked me over good and spoke with my surgeon in Detroit.   Ended up I was having major muscle inflamation again and of course a nice anxiety issue.      He did some mutliple points of something like massage or something and helped relax the inflamation, etc.    The doctors spoke again and then Dr. Koxk actually called my family dr.   They decided to believe it is still something going wrong with my body that isn't from the AN tumor or cranial surgery overall, but the long length of being on the table flaired things up in my entire spine and muscles.

They decided to keep me on a pain medicine because it was working the pain, but needed something for muscles to relax, anxiety, and major insomnia.   They gave me Valium and set me up with family doctor to get some tests going, etc.

Wow, that Valium is great......just what I needed.   It helped the muscle tension, but also let my mind rest so I stopped feeling like I was dying or something terrible.   Also, the best was that it let me relax enough to fall asleep.    AHhhh, how nice.    Went to doctor appointment and he got me scheduled for MRI on Monday that actually goes all the way from Brain down to bottom of spine.   They want to check to see what is causing the pains throughtout my spine.   Assuming something has been going on with that area because I have actually had back and neck issues since I was in labor for Nelson.   

Also heard from another ANer about something called NF2 which is Neurofibromatosis type 2 and can be characterized by benign tumors that can grow along brain and spinal nerves.   I called the doctor to ask about this and was told yes it is a possibility too, but it is more rare.  BUT, that too is part why they decided to run the full MRI.     I was also told it is just possible the pains I'm having in my lower spinal area may be from a bit of blood leaking into the spinal fluid during surgery.   Between 3 doctors descisions, they all agreed to run tests to check for other stuff.   If it is the blood in the fluid, it will be healing on its own soon.

Wow, sure have had quite some adventures, hey???    As for my actually healing related to the AN surgery, I am moving along well.   Only 2 weeks post op my balance is really good.   Still have that delayed swelling in my brain some or whatever causes the paralyzed part.   Need to keep my eye moistened with gel and been told I can leave it covered and focus with my right eye that is totally normal now.   The inscision is looking great....my hair is so thick, dark and perfect length of hair cut that you can't even tell I had anything cut open.   Hopefully each day the paralyze part will get better.   I've been told by all doctors and family memebers to rest.   Even though I felt fine to talk, it does take that other side of the brain to do extra work, and the jaw muscle that was cut gets working too hard too.   OOPS, didn't think of that.    Lost the hearing in the left side too, but they think it will come back one swelling is down.   Been told it can change hour by hour and mainly has to do with how fatigued my body is.   O.K., I get it, I'm resting well, and doing what I'm supposed to!!     Noises.....well, I can only handle like a conversation and not much secondary noise yet.   Been told that too is normal and will get better, we'll see.

O.K., enough for now again.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry these are so long.. Also, please forgive my spelling errors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    It's almost like you had prior knowledge to what you might be going through when you titled your blog??? An adventure it definitely is!!! Glad to hear things are looking up somewhat....you have definitely been through alot and doesn't sound like your adventure is quite over yet.....Hang in there! You're doing great! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend - if there's anything on the Thursday/Friday sales that you want/need let me know and I'll try to beat the crowds and get them for you!!! Anything else I/we can do, let us know!!! Anytime you want a walking partner just call! Try to rest...really sounds like that might be the most important thing right now!
    Talk to you soon, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've finally been able to catch up on your progress. I was gone since the 13th. Wow! You sure have been through a lot, and I pray your adventures (trips to ER, Dr) get fewer and farther apart. If there is anything I can do to help, just call me. Neil has done a great job on the updates. It's so nice to be able to keep updated on your progress without having to call someone. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Marcie A.

    ReplyDelete