Friday, November 27, 2009

New Eye Covers

Here are a couple pictures of things I got for eye covers.  Since my eye won't close on its own, and taping it hurts my skin I tried a few other things.   I got the clear patch from the doctor which is nice for keeping in the lubrication, and can be used in the shower to keep shampoo out of my eyes.   But, most patches are to big to wear under my glasses.   So today I asked at the eye doctors office and they said to try this little material thing.    Cute :-)   It's actually for kids, but it fit over my glasses perfectly and it can be trimmed if needed.   Well it works out great for keeping the bad eye dark so my good eye has total & clear focus.    The fabric doesn't touch the eye at all, so I don't need to worry about it scratching the cornea.   Gee, I thought it was a unique idea compared to all the things I've found so far.   I could make my own and even do them in different colors or holiday, etc.   I usually only need it covered dark when trying to focus clearly with the other eye (like when on the computer, tv, etc.)  It also can go down the sides and helps protect it from air.     Interesting hey???





Protecting the eyes is a very important thing to due with this facial paralysis.   The eyelid won't close, and dries out fast and can get the cornea injured.   Even though I've only had this paralysis  thing  about 1 1/2 weeks, the dry eye and not closing hurts fast.   This morning I forgot it wasn't closed and got shampoo rinsed in it.   Ouch!!  I've researched on the eye patches, covers and weight things too, but nothing seemed as comfortable. 

Today has been a good day!   My speech has been better and the only time I've had the pressure in my head is when I bent over putting clothes in the drier.   Need to be more careful!

Fellow ANers, let me know what ya think.....through my searching, I found nothing like this.  And it came from my eye doctors office.  She said just to be sure to wear plenty of lube under it.   Of course I will.   I think I like the looks of this better than the pirate patch.

3 comments:

  1. I donno... I did see a lady recently that had a pirate patch with a jolly rodger wearing a pink sparkly bow on it. So it's hard to beat that! Hehe.
    Looks fine to me and as long as it keeps you feeling okay that's the important part. I'd just keep anything sticky away from it!
    -Nicole (nickittynic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Nicole, anything sticky was pulling off my skin. I even had the most 'sensitive' stuff. I like this because it isn't tight and banded around my head like the patches :-)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Denise,
    Great to hear your hope is back!!! Glad to hear you are finally hearing your prayers answered....he ALWAYS answers sometimes we just aren't listening closely enough!!! Just wanted to let you know, we're thinking about you!! Talk to you soon, Janet

    ReplyDelete