Friday, November 6, 2009

Official Acoustic Neuroma Diagnosis

So, January 2, 2009 the ENT shows me multiple MRI pictures on CD's from multiple dates.  Explains to me that this growth (or what looks to be like a small white rock) is called an Acoustic Neuroma aka AN  (sometimes termed a Vestibular Schwannoma).  It is a benign tumor that arises from the 8th cranial or vestibulo-cochlear nerve leading from the brain to the inner ear.  The 8th nerve is actually 2 separate nerves, the vestibular (balance) and the cochlear (hearing).  This nerve is associated with transmitting sound and sending balance information to the brain.   This nerve along with the 7th cranial or facial nerve, lie adjacent to each other as they pass from the brain through a bony canal called the internal auditory canal.   

I know these posts may seem like a lot, but the information will be most useful for my fellow "AN' newcomber friends from the Acoustic Neuroma Association forum site that have been newly diagnosed.

These tumors usually grow slowly over a period of years, and people don't know that they are actually causing problems.  They are not inside the brain, but are deep inside the skull right next to the brain.  The tumors can expand enough to actually displace normal brain tissue and push against the brainstem.     

***Although I've been through a lot, I actually feel blessed mine was found the way it was, before too much damage has been done already.   I know God has been watching out for me!!!

Anyways, I was later referred to Michigan Ear Institute for further testing.  More testing (along with waiting and follow ups) revealed my brainstem response and hearing levels were decreasing slowly.  I also had more detailed MRI's done in Detroit that was able to verify another 3 mm growth in just 6 months.  Now the AN is only about 1cm, but has for sure been growing over the years and affecting things.       I got plenty of opinions, etc.   Looked into radiation too, but not for me.  I want this out of my head and the things I found on radiation was that it is too new and for long term effects, I didn't like what I was told or read.  Plus I was finding and hearing incidents where people ended up with surgery anyways within 5 years.   Being younger, ever doctor I talked to highly recommended surgery.  All also had the same opinion as to which approach to to do (since there is more than one).      We chose the Middle Fossa surgical approach.  This approach is used the most when a person (like myself) still has good hearing and they try to preserve it (about a 60-70% chance, but all depends exactly on where the tumor lies).    I have been told my tumor looks more to be on the balance nerve, and that nerve is usually removed along with the tumor.  So, vertigo and balance issues are a bit part of the recovery 'issues'.  

Once again, I know it might be a lot of info., but it covers part of the adventure so far.  Hopefully this gives you a bit of an insight to what we are dealing with. 

Now I'm off to take care of that son who broke his hand yesterday (the life of boys that are "all boy").   The swelling was too much to do a cast yesterday, so he will have that Monday.  (my mom, their caretaker next week, will be taking him for that).   I need to get him to get that hand iced and proped up.  He's complaining more of pain today than yesterday.  They have it so wrapped, I can't tell what's going on.

I will post again, but feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions!

2 comments:

  1. Denise ~

    Excellent AN description.

    You have a beautiful family and with God's blessing and their support, you'll do just fine on Monday.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often say I feel that God's hands have been in my early diagnosis, and I'm glad to see you feel the same way. A brain tumor is never a good thing, but at least we live in a time when medicine is so advanced. I try to count my blessings!

    Your blog is great and I look forward to checking in as you post new updates.

    ReplyDelete